There have been a few floods over the years in Porlock. Most have been quite small, the last big flood was back in the 1950s when the water washed away a great deal of Parsons Street and closed the High Street. Many organisations, including the Parish Council, are taking action to avoid flooding but there will always be a risk.
Porlock has a flood plan, a team of Flood Wardens and a store of flood mitigation equipment. In the event of a flood, there are refuge facilities that may be opened at either end of the village to temporarily accommodate anyone affected by the flooding.
Although only part of the village is at risk of being flooded, a flood would impact everyone in the village. With the centre flooded, getting anywhere would be very difficult. How are you going to get to work, get shopping, pick up the children from school?
The Environment Agency runs a Flood Warnings Service which allows us know when a flood is likely. We can all sign up for flood alerts but the tricky bit is ensuring we don’t get “false alarms”. I’m guessing you don’t want to know when Watchet or Roadwater might be flooded? You can now sign up just for the Porlock flood alarms; in the last ten years there have been no false flood alarms in Porlock.
Here are the step-by-step instructions, it will only take you five minutes on the internet and it is free.
- Go to https://www.gov.uk/sign-up-for-flood-warnings and select Sign Up
- Select Home and Continue then DO NOT enter your post code.
Instead, click on “Search By Town or City”.
- Enter Porlock and Find and then click on Porlock (not the Hill or the Weir).
- From the list, find “Hawkcombe Stream at Porlock centre”
and then click on “Sign up for this area”.
- Now fill in your name and email and then press continue.
- The next page asks for a home phone number and then for an optional mobile phone number.
- On the following page you can choose to be told when a flood warning is over, this is optional.
- On the next page you are asked to check and agree to the terms and conditions and then, on the final page, can check what you have signed up for and confirm it.
You are now signed up for one of the two alerts. Well done!
An email will appear in your inbox almost immediately with a temporary password for the Flood Warning Service. This enables you to sign up for the second alert.
- Go to https://www.gov.uk/sign-up-for-flood-warnings again and this time select Sign In
- Enter your email address and the temporary password that you were sent.
- On the next page you must choose a new password and continue
- On the next page you will receive confirmation that you have signed up for one alert.
Now click on “Add a location”
- Once again DO NOT enter your post code. Instead, click on “Search By Town or City”.
Then enter Porlock and Find and then click on Porlock.
- This time, find “Hawkcombe Stream from Hawkcombe Valley to Porlock bowling green” and then click on “Add this area”.
- The next page asks for a home phone number, an optional mobile phone number and whether you want to be told when a flood warning is over.
- And, finally, you are taken to the page that shows you have successfully signed up to both areas.
Congratulations and thank you. If you would like more information on making your own plans for flooding or about the flood warnings, there is more information on the internet at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-flood-plan